Regional Opinions on the Ukrainian Crisis

Aiden V. '23

It is no secret that Russia is currently invading Ukraine, and many people have strong thoughts on this topic. Ukraine is over 5000 miles away from OLSH and the United States, but a crisis of this caliber can affect everyone. 

The situation is not to be taken lightly, as one of the core focuses of the Felician Sisters is about respecting human dignity and life in general. Russia is invading Ukraine and not going lightly taking innocent civilian lives left and right. As an OLSH student, it is good to shed some light on what people should be doing and try to do what we can to help those in need.

Erik Tomb is a junior attending OLSH. Erik is known by many as a person who loves history and is very knowledgeable about the topic. Junior Aiden Vargo asks Erik a few questions regarding this topic. When asked about the relevance of the situation and if teenagers are paying enough attention to the crisis Erik says “I don’t think people are paying nearly enough attention to this, I hear people saying Putin is the good guy in this constantly or that the United States should join Russia against Ukraine or people just spewing lies about stuff or not even being able to understand that people die in wars.”

In order to contrast opinions, OLSH parent, Scott Vargo was asked a similar question. Many people would assume parents pay more attention to this type of news than a normal high school student, Scott Vargo states “I think the situation in Ukraine is much more looked into by parents and people closer to my age than high school students. It should be that way because kids and teenagers shouldn’t have to focus on wars overseas. I believe the invasion is getting proper attention overall throughout the media even though a lot of it is likely, not entirely true or some sort of propaganda.”

Opinions vary by the person due to their experiences, knowledge on the topic, and just different viewpoints. It is always good to educate yourself on the topic at hand before coming to any conclusions and keep in mind everyone’s situations

Tensions are higher than they have been in quite some time across the world, and will likely continue to rise as conflict escalates even more. People are dying whether it is just or not. Russia invading Ukraine will go into the history books, and hopefully the loss of innocent life stops one way or another.