Big Fish in an OLSH Pond: The Seniors of OLSH Theatre

Nick E. '26

As we approach the Gene Kelly Awards, the seniors of the OLSH Theatre Department are looking back on their time here at OLSH. I asked each one some questions about their experience in OLSH Theatre. 

Mario Williams, who played the lead character Edward Bloom in this year’s production of Big Fish, reflected on his time in the theatre:

Q: What year did you start participating in theatre?

A: I started theater when I was 7, so that was 2012 I believe. I’ve been a part of OLSH theater all four years of Highschool though. 

Q: Did you participate in theatre before OLSH?

A: Yes, for a while it was my whole life. 

Q: What drove you to start theatre? 

A: I saw my sister in a summer camp at the CLO Academy. Contrary to popular belief, I was a very, very shy kid. I would stay home a lot because I was afraid to go to school and talk to other kids my age. But when I saw that show, I told my mom, I want to do that, that’s for me. I knew coming to OLSH they had a strong theater program and I knew I wanted to be a part of the shows when I started going to Theater Thursdays. The people were the best part.

Q: What was your first show, and what role did you play?

A: I was in the ensemble of Flat Stanley the musical. I remember it so vividly. At OLSH, I was a Wickersham brother in Seussical: The Musical

Q: What was your favorite role to play or your favorite show? 

A: My favorite role now that I’ve done it is Edward Bloom. It will be that way for a long time too. 

Q: Who helped you the most along the way?

A: So many people honestly,  My voice teacher Miss Amy is a big one and my sister as well. Ms. Manuel during my time at OLSH has been amazing. She’s really helped me grow as a person more so than an actor. I’ve definitely become more grounded than before.

Q: Favorite memory?

A: This year has to be one of my favorite memories. The spring musical meant so much to me and I just loved it. 

Q: Funniest moment?

A: The car ride back from PHSSL. Hardest I’ve laughed in a while. 

Clare Mulvay played Will’s wife, Josephine, in the production. Here is what she had to say:

A: 2020

A: Yes. At Holy Trinity, I did some productions from fourth to eighth grade.

Q: What drove you to start theatre? 

A: I did it on a whim. I remember I was sitting on my bed and called my friend Natalie and said, “Let’s do fall play and see what it’s all about.”

A: The Spoon River Project, I had two different monologues.

A: Big Fish, or  The Great Big Holiday Bake-Off.  The Great Big Holiday Bake-Off  was so trivial but so much fun to put on, and certainly Big Fish was the perfect show, and I wouldn’t have picked anything else for my senior year

A: Ms. Manuel and John Wojtechko, by way of them both being great directors and very inspirational people.

Q: Favorite memory?

A: Certainly meeting people, for example I’ve made friends such as Ella Sever, Emma McGrath, Nick Ewanco, Melanie George …

Q: Funniest moment?

A: It’s not really one moment, but people ripping their pants is pretty hilarious. It happens literally every single show if not more than once per show.

Q: Anything else you’d like to share about your experience at OLSH theatre?

A: It was one of the most formative experiences of my high school career.

Melanie George was part of the ensemble and helped as a dance captain throughout the production. Here is what she had to say:

A: 2019

A: Not really, my middle school had small plays and stuff, but nothing really major.

Q: What drove you to start theatre? 

A: So my sister is 10 years older than me, so I always grew up watching OLSH theatre productions and I decided that’s what I wanted to do when I got here.

A: I was in the Seussical ensemble

A: I really loved Big Fish. I thoroughly enjoyed being a dance captain and the fisherman.

A: James Benke. He just loves theatre and he is such a positive person. He’s still involved in theatre and that had such a big impact on me.

Q: Favorite memory? 

A: When I got close to Ella Sever [OLSH class of 2022]. At that time our friend group was very close-knit.

A: Funniest moment?

Q: Bernie when he was a Fed-Ex man in our production of Working in 2021, any moment with Theresa Kilburg, and Jonathan Mackin’s “crazy eyes of fire” line this year.

Michal Ondercin played the role of Don Price. Here is what he had to say:

A: 2019 – My freshman year

A: Yes, before I moved here,  around 2014-2015.

Q: What drove you to start theatre?

A: Loved watching old musicals like Hello, Dolly! as a kid.

A: The Sound of Music – Soldier #2

A: Mr. MacAfee – Bye Bye Birdie

Q: Favorite memory?

A: All of the inside jokes we had before/during/after shows in the dressing room

Q: Funniest moment?

A: This had to be when we were all sheltering by the stage because of a tornado warning, and Dave started playing The Wizard of Oz.

Tori Pendzich played Dr. Bennett in the production. Here is what she had to say:

A: 2019

A: I did three years of theater at Saint Philip School

Q: What drove you to start theatre?

A: I have always loved theater and always wanted to join a production.

A: My first show ever was Lion King and I was a bird; my first show at OLSH was The Thirty Nine Steps, and I played a pilot. 

A: My favorite show was actually Big Fish and I played Dr. Bennett.

A: My friends and family along with the amazing production team and the cast and crew helped me the most with any challenges that came up along the way.

Q: Favorite memory?

A: My favorite memory was going to Bloomsburg and having fun competing and goofing around with the cast (also singing with John Wojtechko in the van on the way back).

Q: Funniest moment?

A: The Quaker Steak and Lube hot wing challenge.

A: I think that theater has really helped me grow as a person and I encourage everyone to join something theater or otherwise because the groups really act as a family. I think that everyone could benefit from something like that.

Katarina Komoroski played Jenny Hill in the production. Here is what she had to say:

A: Freshman year during fall play

A: Yes! Back in grade school at St. Philip, I was a part of the musical for all three years.

Q: What drove you to start theatre?

A: I always loved watching the school performances of St. Philip’s musicals. They seemed like so much fun. My older brother also participated when he was in middle school, which also inspired me to be a part of it as well.

A: The Lion King Jr. in 6th grade as Young Simba

A: My favorite role is definitely Young Simba, but my favorite show is Big Fish.

A: I would say my brother, Bernie. As he advanced through high school theater, he seemed to get into character more quickly each role he played. My brother is such a dedicated actor, and loves to make people laugh. I really look up to him, and I’m glad that he is able to give me tips and advice to further my abilities.

Q: Favorite memory?

A: This might sound a bit strange, but Big Fish closing night when everyone was crying is my favorite memory. We might have been emotional wrecks, but when the cast and crew cry after a show is over, that just tells people how much it meant to them. This is the best show that I’ve ever been a part of, and I am so thankful to have had such wonderful cast mates who made my last show truly special.

Q: Funniest moment?

A: Whenever we use Charline (the resident body double dummy of OLSH Theatre) in a production. Never fails to make me laugh.

A: OLSH theater isn’t just an after school activity. OLSH theater is a home. It’s a safe haven kids  can come to and relax. It’s an environment where people can get to know themselves and one another, all while forging lasting friendships. If you are reading this, and you haven’t done a show yet, I highly recommend participating in at least one production. It’s an experience like no other, and I promise you, it will greatly benefit you.

These seniors have left a big impression on their underclassmen cast mates. From myself and The Clarion, we wish you all the very best, and we hope for you to reach for the stars. Good luck to the OLSH Theatre group at the Gene Kelly Awards next month!