Tips Any High Schooler Should Consider to Study For Finals

Caroline Friend, 2020, Staff

The end of the school year is almost here, and for many, it means the dreaded anxiety of finals. Fellow colleagues, fear not! The Clarion has gathered many helpful tips and ways to get into the study groove. These can work for any test including finals.

Prep:

During the week of the test, you may want to think about having this healthy routine:

1. Make sure you sleep. Research has been shown that teens thrive better with more sleep and rest. For finals week, sleeping longer can be a useful tactic to work focused and refreshed.
  2. Eating a healthy diet could also help remaining focused throughout the day. The brain needs power food, as well as the stomach, so eat foods like avocados, blueberries, whole grains, and nuts. These carry antioxidants and proteins that can help your brain be acute.
  3. Hydrate. The last thing to face is dehydration. Drink plenty of fluids that keep a refreshed personality throughout the day.
  4. Relax. In between study sessions, make sure to relax and rest from all of the information. Use this time to listen to music, watch calming TV, nap, or do something that is relieving.
  5. Keep a positive attitude! Worriment distracts those from focusing on the real task at hand. Use this tactic to focus on the good things that could happen. Think about peaceful or joyful things to calm the brain and reduce anxiety. Imagine the end of the day relaxing with your pet in the park or drinking a cool glass of iced tea at the beach.

Tips For Studying:

• Candy Method: This seems a bit outdated, but it can be helpful. When laziness comes around to read a textbook, place a favorite treat at the end of your notes or a paragraph or two; after reading the excerpt, you’re free to eat the reward! Research shows peppermint and cinnamon flavors stimulate the brain to increase focus. Try to eat these treats to remain alert in your study time.
  • Repetition: This is helpful for memory. Just like listening to a popular song, verbally repeating, writing, and/or listening to information can create an easy memory for the average student.
  • Group Guidance: It’s always fun to study with friends, so get together, turn off social media notifications for the session, and share any packets, handouts, or information useful to the test. Quiz each other. Take breaks in between to relax information intake.
  • Internet Studying: If you are more of a visual learner, the Internet has plenty of videos and websites dedicated to various study topics. Khan Academy, Sheppard Software, and Quizlet are great websites to search diagrams, quizzes, and mapping.
  • Tuning In: If you enjoy making poems, acronyms, or songs, think about making a tune or phrase to help memorize a piece of information not so known.
  • The Color Key: If your textbook or binder gets too loaded, tab the important pages with colorful tabs to make things a bit more organized. With colors, you could make a key. For example, go over the piece of information and decide how much time you need to remember that notion (Green tabs = already known; Pink tabs = keep forgetting, need more time).
  • Act the Part: If you enjoy movies, plays, or books, try to imagine yourself as one of the characters or real people from your mandatory reading. Think about your objective, how you feel, what relationships you have with other characters, what has gotten you to this point in the plot, etc. Feel free to talk in character to make things fun.
  • Analyze: To check on your anatomical knowledge, whether plants or animals, find a picture or physical model of the object. Imagine the systems inside it and connect it to your knowledge. For example, pick a plant you are going to be tested on, verbally or mentally recognize the cells, fibers, or whatever you were taught. Point your finger to where you are referring to.That way, it could help make a mental picture.
  • The Intercession: If you’re anxious about the test don’t worry, we all go through it. Before your test, pray and ask for St. Joseph of Cupertino’s intercession. His petition to God can help you with anything on the test.

St. Joseph of Cupertino and Our Lady of Victory, pray for us!

To all readers: Work hard and good luck!

Sources and other tips for studying:

Oxford’s 10 Fun Ways to Study

WebMD’s List of Healthy Brain Food

Developing Human Brain’s List of Brain Food

FastWeb’s 20 Study Tips for Finals