Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

Evie Hoff, 2017, Staff

Since 2011, Harry Potter fans have been waiting in anticipation for another Wizarding World story to hit the big screen. On November 18, 2016, our patience will finally be rewarded with Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. The screenplay for this film is written by Harry Potter author JK Rowling, and will serve as a prequel to the popular series set in 1920s New York City. Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them was the name of a popular textbook in the Harry Potter series that all of the Hogwarts students were obligated to read, written by the famous wizard Newt Scamander. In 2010, JK Rowling released a small book by the same name that inherently was that textbook. Now, a film about how that book was written, along with the misadventures of its author, is coming soon. Newt Scamander is played by Academy Award Winning Actor Eddie Redmayne and Katherine Waterson, Colin Farrell, and Ezra Miller are all a part of the supporting cast. David Yates, the director of the last four Harry Potter movies, is directing the film. Considering the fact that he was very well able to translate JK Rowling’s magical world to the big screen before, fans can trust that this film will be good. It is also going to be the first in a trilogy of movies. Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them is proof that JK Rowling is not done with the Wizarding World just yet. She is also about to release a new book, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, in July 2016. Clearly, the Wizarding World has many other stories to offer, and fans can’t wait for them.