Should cursive handwriting be a requirement in school curriculum?

Sara O.

The popularity of the keyboard today is causing children to be deprived of a simple yet necessary skill. Cursive handwriting is something children have been required to learn until recently. The popularity of teaching cursive handwriting has decreased in recent years in schools for quite some time now. Its importance is being overlooked and children are not been taught a valuable skill that they will need in the future.

Most people think of cursive as something they learned in grade school and barely use now. What they do not notice is how much they need this essential skill in everyday life. Reading and writing cursive may not be recognized in daily situations, but that is only because people have become so used to it that it is second nature. It comes in handy more than some think. Since most people are so used to it, they may not even realize when something is written in cursive because they have become accustom to recognizing it and it is identified as a normal, typical font while reading.

This problem was first made notable as of recently. In the SAT standardized test, some may have noticed the section that requires the student taking the exam to copy a statement in cursive the best they can. It is surprising how many students struggle with the simple task and are unable to complete it efficiently. Whether it be because they were out of practice, or never taught at all, it is safe to say that this issue could easily be avoided.

Americans are already falling behind in the educational system, and we should not be depriving children of something as elementary as handwriting class. At the very least, students should be able to read cursive. Illiteracy is not acceptable in this day and age especially when it is so easy to achieve the skill. If only the bare minimum is being stressed, it would also be helpful for students to learn to sign their name as well. Almost everything requires a formal signature these days.

The creative gains should also be looked into. Cursive teaches control to children and creates a more artistic and cultured youth. Just this factor alone should be enough to convince an audience why cursive is still relevant.  The loss of culture is something that can happen without even noticing it. Originality is hard to come by, and people should be encouraging students to be creative. One way for people to express originality can be unique handwriting.